Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fleece Hat with Ribbon

Here's a tutorial on how to make a fleece baby hat. It is a super easy project and a wonderful gift for baby showers.

Materials:

  • 1/4 yard of fleece 
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine
  • Scissors
  • 3 feet of ribbon

Step 1: First I cut out four identical pieces from my fleece fabric. I guestimated the size based on other hats that Lilly had. You can see the pieces below, kind of  a pentagon shape.
Step 2: Next I sewed the sides of each piece together (front to front) so that I had a long strip as seen in the picture below. 



Step 3: Then I sewed the first piece to the last piece, creating a circle.

Step 4: Then I sewed the top (curvy) sections together as well, in the same way that I sewed the sides together and I ended up with a hat!
Step 5: Next I cut a long strip of fabric that was the same width as the hat and sewed the ends together so that I had a tube. I then pinned this tube to the bottom of the hat as seen in the picture below and sewed the two together.


Step 6: I then folded over the rest of the strip and sewed the other end to the inside of the hat, this is seen in the picture below.
baby fleece hat tutorial

Step 7: Finally, I cut four slits in the hat and fed some coordinating ribbon through the holes (weaving it in and out) and tied it in a bow. The ribbon is both decorative and you can cinch it to fit your baby's head perfectly :) Since fleece doesn't fray you don't need to worry about finished off the slits that you cut.

Below is the finished product!

This is the back of the hat

baby hat tutorial

diy baby project
 Blinking when the flash goes off :(

diy baby sewing project

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial. Easy to do with leftover fleece from other projects, my favorite! Thanks for sharing
    Donna

    ReplyDelete