Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Creative Wednesday

A dress with buttons!

This was my first attempt with buttons but I think I did ok with them. I just think its such a cute dress. The pattern consists of three pieces: the front and then two arms that cross over to form the back. Because the dress is lined and two different materials are used you will need to cut out six total pieces.

One you've pinned the three pieces together (front to front) on each type of material you then sew the two contrasting materials together all the way around. You will pin them together with the front of each material facing each other. One you've sewn around the exterior (and left a 2 inch opening) you will cut small triangles around the curves so that when you turn the dress inside out it doesn't bunch up where the curves are. Be sure not to cut through the seam you've just sewn! Now, turn the dress inside out through the opening.

After I poked out all the corners I did a zig-zag stitch around the entire dress, I feel like the zig-zag adds a little extra and this also allowed me to close up that 2 inch opening. Then I made the button holes.

I cut a slit where I wanted the hole to be, then I sewed just barely around that opening multiple times, forming a rectangle, and then cut away the frayed threads that were created. I'm not sure this is the best way to do this but it seemed to work, there are a lot of videos on you-tube if you want a more detailed how-to.


Then I sewed on the buttons (by hand) and voila! Here is the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment