Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hot Topic Tuesday




Today's hot topic is one that I've heard being discussed a lot this week. While at the garage sale on Saturday I actually had two strangers come up to me and ask me if I'd seen the cover of the recent Time Magazine. It has also been a topic of discussion among my friends and family. So, if you've been living under a rock for the past week, check out the photo below: 




The child in the photo is three, though with the help of the liquid-gold-breastmilk nourishing his bones, stool he looks a bit older. Having just finished Tina Fey's book "Bossy Pants" I am tempted to use the term "Teet Nazi" when referring to the mother in the photo, but I won't... While I completely agree that breast feeding is the best option for a child, it is not always possible. I was adopted and so I didn't have the option...somehow I turned out okay.

I breastfed Lilly until she was six months and then just couldn't keep up with it. One of the benefits of breastfeeding is that it burns about 500 calories a day. Unfortunately if you already have a problem gaining wait, this is less of a benefit or more of a death wish. Since stopping, (so in the past 2 months) I've gained back 6 lbs!

I do feel like there is a stigma placed on mothers who don't breastfeed, by those who do (The Teet Nazi's I mentioned before) If you aren't providing your child with the liquid gold of breastmilk then your not really a good mother. Personally, I think every child, and every situation is different and each mother should do what works for her and her baby. Breast-milk is God-Given which is wonderful, but we also live in a world where science and medicine provide alternative options.

Your Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment