Tuesday, March 18, 2014

And the winner is...

Jenny Kinter!! Congratulations! You win the $25 Amazon Gift Card!!! Message me your address and I'll have the gift card sent directly to you.

Now onto other things...more controversial hot topic things that is...because as I'm sure you're aware...it's Hot Topic Tuesday!


Today's topic...Lent. Now, in case there's confusion...I'm referring to the 40 days prior to Easter, not the stuff that grows in your belly button or can be found in your dryer.

Before attending the church I'm currently at, I'm not sure I'd ever heard of Lent. If I had I probably considered it only a Catholic thing and I didn't pay much attention to it. I'm now attending a non-denominational church and they practice Lent as well as Ash Wednesday. I've read a number of articles in the past week or so regarding Lent and the practice of it. Most have been judgemental towards those who practice Lent, saying that giving up certain things like chocolate, isn't exactly what Jesus had in mind. Because of all the attention I've seen this topic gaining through social media, I thought I'd take a stab at it.

So, what it Lent?

The idea is to remember the time that Jesus spent in the desert (40 days and 40 nights). During this period he didn't eat, despite his frequent temptation...this is why many Christians "give something up" during the period of Lent.

So, what is an appropriate thing to give up?

Well, in my opinion...it's really up to you and God right? I don't think someone besides you and God can say whether or not what you've decided to give up for Lent is right or not. In the same way, one Christian shouldn't place judgement on another Christian who doesn't celebrate Lent at all. It's totally their decision.

Jesus spent 40 days fasting from food, he was tempted during this time, he overcame the temptation and spent the time without food drawing closer to God. This can be paralleled in our lives many ways.

Whether you fast from food, chocolate, facebook, or gossiping...you will feel the hurt in your life. Only you knows what is the most tempting for you. If it's chocolate, then go with that. If it's gossiping, then go with that. Either way you're going to have a moment every day where you want to do that thing. Hopefully, you'll overcome the temptation and spend that time in prayer or at least contemplating what Christ went through in the desert.

And for some Christians, Lent just won't be something they practice. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I think what's most important is to respect the other person. There's too much wrong with this world for Christians to be arguing about who's doing the right thing in regards to the practice of Lent. Seriously. There are bigger fish to fry.

Colossians 3:17: And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I think this about sums it up. Love God and love others. 





No comments:

Post a Comment