Monday, December 3, 2012

A day at the Auction...

On Saturday we spent the day at an estate auction. We arrived at 9:30 and left at 3:30. It was a long day...especially with a little girl who wasn't interested in taking a nap (until we got in the car to drive home) but she was a trooper and we had a blast none the less.

What attracted me to this auction was that they had a TON of fabric. A TON. I'm not sure what the woman who lived there did but she definitely enjoyed sewing. They sold the fabric by the bag/box and by the end they were going for $.33 a bag! I ended up purchasing 125 yards of knit fabric (of various colors, stripes and solids) for $20!!  ($.17 a yard!) I'm so excited! I basically sought out all the knit fabric they had and got it. Since Joann's has such a limited supply of knits I have been dying to find some variation. I got just what I wanted and for so much less than paying retail. There were only about 50 people there and only about 5 that were bidding on the fabric.

Here is a picture of all the fabric folded and placed on the shelves of my new "sewing closet". (It currently a work in progress)



I also purchased an old Singer sewing machine. My current sewing machine doesn't do buttons, zippers or really anything besides sewing a basic stitch. I got the sewing machine for $3 and it came with 4 foot attachments, a ton of needles, the instruction manuals etc. I haven't tried it out though yet, but for $3 I figured it was worth a shot.



I also bought all of this thread (I color coordinated it after bringing it home) and the thread organizer for... $7!! There is a total of 325 spools of thread on it.


I bought 1 box full of elastic, over 50 rolls of un-opened elastic in varying sizes for $1


I bought another box for $1 that was filled with edging, lace, zippers, buttons etc.


Finally, I bought this cutting mat that unfolds into a HUGE board! It was also $1.



So, all in all I'd say I got about $2,000 worth of sewing materials for $33. Not bad for a days work :)


2 comments:

  1. WOW! You seriously scored!!

    I would love it if you would share this post over on my Friday link-up!

    http://www.parloandlogi.com/category/f-it-friday/

    You've inspired me to look out for an Estate sale for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's amazing - i'm totally jealous! Check out my blog for some of my Trash or Treasure finds :)

    ReplyDelete