Monday, November 26, 2012

Paint Chip Artwork

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We sure did, as well as some good after Thanksgiving finds. One of those finds was a pack of canvases at Michael's. Michael's opens at 4:00 on Thanksgiving and there was a coupon for 25% off your entire purchase. I picked up a package of 5 canvases that were already on sale for $12, after being 25% off it came to only $9!! For all five! There is just so much you can do with these canvases: paint them, cover them with fabric, make a collage with paint chips...

Say What? That's right, I did the last one.

I picked up some Martha Stewart paint chips from The Home Depot that matched our bedspread. I had about 5 coordinating colors. I used the Martha Steward chips because I liked how long they were.

Paint Chip Artwork

First I covered the canvas with a layer of Mod Podge. Then I began placing my paint chips on. I had no particular rhyme or reason, just placing until I filled in the canvas and liked what I saw. Once I was done, I painted on a second coat of Mod Podge and waited for it to dry. I've only done one so far but hopefully I'll get the other four done this week and can hang them on the wall. I really like how they turned out and it was so easy (and cheap)!!


Paint Chip Artwork

The picture above is after I layed the chips down, the picture below is after the second layer of Mod Podge before it completely dried.

Paint Chip project

And below is the finished product. I like how it turned out and total cost: $2.25!


It kind of reminds me of this piece of artwork I saw at Pottery Barn: (for $399)

Paint Chip Artwork

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea. Those paint chips are definitely bigger than the ones I usually see.

    ReplyDelete