So nothing says summertime like a BLT right? You really can't go wrong with a classic BLT but I wanted to mix it up a bit so I added a little something and it was AMAZING!
Here's the recipe:
- 1 Package of Bacon (8 slices)
- Iceberg Lettuce (enough for 4 sandwiches)
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 8 Sliced of bread (you're choice, I used honey wheat)
- 1 TB of basil
- 1 TB of sugar
- 2 TB of oil
- Mayo if you like it
- Toast your bread, slice your tomato and shred up your lettuce.
- Cook your bacon ( I used Smithfield* Twice as Thick Bacon and it was so so good. I had a coupon and so I got it for half off, I don't think I'm ever going to use any other bacon. Ever. ) Also, cook it on the stove people...Bacon is not allowed to be cooked in the microwave.
- Combine the last three ingredients and brush the sauce onto each slice of toasted bread, then put on a layer of Mayo if you desire and then load up your other three ingredients.
I served my sandwiches with chips. Not the heathliest option I know but lets be honest, you're eating bacon, you've already failed. But I did use honey wheat bread right? That's something...
Total cost for this meal (including the chips) is $1.50 a person. Not bad right?
*You should only use Smithfield bacon. Why you ask? Smithfield bacon comes from a small town in Virginia that specializes in all things bacon/pig related. I grew up there and I'll explain:
- When entering the town you'll see a water tower...on that water tower is a picture of a ham, hanging. I'm explaining this to you now so that you are not confused and accidentally think it's a poorly constructed map of Smithfield (I thought this for 4 years until someone explained it to me)
- The High School mascot is the Packers (as in the Smithfield packing plant)
- The number one business is the Smithfield packing plant, most people work here and on a weekly basis you can get a nice whiff of pig, floating in the air.
- A few years back, the town made the Guinness Book of World Records for making the largest Ham biscuit. I was there. It was in fact very big. Now, as you enter the city limits you will see this sign: Welcome to Smithfield, home of the world's largest ham biscuit.
Now go out there and eat some BLTs!!